A Place to Sleep – level 3
The southern German city of Ulm is currently testing a prototype sleeping pod for the homeless, which its makers call a nest.
The windproof and waterproof pods have been installed in the streets of the city and tests are underway to check if they protect against frostbite. If so, they could be rolled out across Germany. The nest has a solar panel on its roof to power lights and it is big enough to fit one person. It unlocks itself automatically in the evening which means that someone who needs a place to sleep can simply open the door and find a safe place overnight. The nest protects against the cold, wind and also against attacks.
To ensure privacy, there are no cameras inside; however, the opening of the doors triggers a motion sensor which alerts social workers who check the pod after it’s been used to ensure that it can be cleaned.
Difficult words: prototype (the first example of a product that is built to test the design or function), frostbite (injury caused by extreme cold), motion sensor (a device that detects and measures movement).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos