A School Walks to a New Place – level 2
Engineers in Shanghai, China, had to move a school to a new place. The reason was that there would be a business building in the same place.
The school was 85 years old and engineers did not want to destroy it. Therefore, they decided to move it 62 meters away. It was a difficult task for them but they succeeded. They installed 200 special robotic legs underneath the building, and the legs lifted it off the ground. They controlled the legs that moved up and down, and the legs rotated the building. It took 18 days to move the building to its new location.
It was the first time that engineers in Shanghai moved a building with the help of robotic legs.
Difficult words: succeed (to manage to do something that you plan or want), install (to put something in a place or position and to make it ready for use), rotate (to move in a circle).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos