A ship breaks in half – level 3
Rescuers rushed to an area in the South China Sea where Typhoon Chaba snapped a ship in two; the ship had a crew of 30 on board. Strong waves caused substantial damage, and then the ship broke into two pieces.
Chinese authorities released footage of a person airlifted to safety while waves crashed over the deck of the semi-submerged vessel. Officials said that three people were rescued from the sinking ship; however, the fate of the other 27 people on the vessel remained unknown. Search operations were still underway for the missing crew members.
China’s first typhoon of the year brought gales and rain to China’s southern shores. Forecasters warned of record rainfall and high disaster risk in the country’s most populous provinces.
Difficult words: semi-submerged (partially underwater), fate (the things that will happen in the future), gale (a very strong wind).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this incident?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos