A ship in trouble – level 1
A Dutch ship sails in the North Sea near Norway. Smaller boats are on board. Then the ship gets into trouble.
There is a big storm. The wind is strong. The waves are very big. The ship starts to move from side to side. Its engine stops working. It is a very dangerous situation.
12 people are on board. Some people jump into the water. It is not safe to stay on board. Rescuers help all 12 people. Then they are safe.
Now the ship is still at sea. It starts to move closer to the Norwegian coast. It is possible that the ship will sink. Oil can get in the sea. Rescuers must save the ship.
Difficult words: on board (on a ship, plane or other vehicle), engine (a machine which ships, cars or other bigger machines must have and they cannot work without it), sink (to get to the bottom of the sea, lake or river).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.