A ship in trouble – level 2
On Monday, a Dutch cargo ship got in trouble in a storm in the North Sea.
Large waves and strong winds made the ship move from side to side, and its main engine stopped working. There were 12 people on board and some of them jumped into the water because it was too dangerous to stay on board. Rescuers took all 12 people to safety, but the ship stayed at sea, and it started to move towards the Norwegian coast.
The ship was 111 meters long and it carried smaller boats. Some of the cargo ended up in the water and there was a high risk that the ship would sink, and oil from the ship would get in the sea.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.