A ship in trouble – level 3
Footage posted by the Norwegian Coast Guard showed the dramatic rescue of 12 crew members after a vessel was in trouble in rough weather in the North Sea.
Crew on board the Dutch cargo ship Eemsligt Hendrika made a distress call on Monday, after stormy weather displaced some of its cargo. Rough seas caused the vessel to tilt and its engines failed. Some of the crew had to jump into the water, leaving the abandoned vessel adrift. However, they were airlifted from the sea while others were rescued from the ship´s deck.
The 111-meter-long Netherlands-registered ship was transporting smaller yachts, and it started to drift towards the shore. Teams were working to prevent the vessel from capsizing and sinking, which could cause a large oil spill.
Difficult words: distress call (a call to authorities notifying them or a person, vehicle, or vessel requiring emergency services), tilt (to be in or to move into a sloping or uneven position), capsize (to overturn).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.