A ship with electric cars catches fire – level 2
A ship carrying more than 3,700 cars, caught fire near the Dutch coast.
The ship has about 500 electric vehicles on board, including BMW and Mercedes-Benz. The fire caused the death of one crew member, and seven others jumped into the water to save themselves. Ship charter company K Line revealed that they had 498 electric cars on the ship.
The cause of the fire is not known yet, but lithium-ion battery fires can be difficult to put out because they burn hotter and last longer than gasoline fires. Rescuers managed to get on board to secure stronger tow lines. Authorities are investigating the incident.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures have been taken to extinguish the fire on board the ship and what is being done to investigate the cause of the incident?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.