A ship with electric cars catches fire – level 3
The car carrier ship Fremantle Highway caught fire off the northernmost Dutch coast, carrying almost 500 electric vehicles along with other cars.
The fire resulted in the death of an Indian crew member, and seven others were injured while trying to escape. Ship charter company K Line confirmed the presence of 498 battery electric vehicles among the 3,783 vehicles on board. BMW and Mercedes-Benz stated they also had cars on the ship. The cause of the fire is unknown, but there are concerns about extinguishing it due to the higher heat and longer duration of lithium-ion battery fires.
Salvagers have managed to board the ship to secure tow lines, and authorities are investigating the incident.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What safety and containment measures are being taken to prevent further damage caused by the fire on board the Fremantle Highway?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.