A smart plaster – level 3
A smart plaster has won this year’s respected James Dyson Award international prize.
SmartHEAL shows you a wound is healing from a sensor inside the wound dressing. The sensor assesses the wound and detects infection without removal of the dressing.
Chronic wounds can take months or sometimes years to heal. Every time doctors take off the dressing, they risk infection and disrupt the tissue. The removal slows the healing process. The action is uncomfortable and painful for the patient, so no removal of the dressing brings enormous relief.
The plaster was invented by three Polish students from Warsaw University of Technology. They plan to use the 35,000-dollar prize money to start clinical trials, and they hope to start sales in 2025.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.