A study on autism – level 1
Autism is a disorder. A person with autism has problems when he wants to talk and interact with others.
Studies say that one in 44 children in the US have autism. Scientists from university study autism for 20 years. They work with 115,000 children. They check the children’s blood and genetic markers. Scientists also need a lot of information about the children’s health.
The study shows that there are three important things, which can cause autism. The first thing is specific genetic markers. The second thing is health. The last thing is the timing of these two things. Pregnant women must be careful. The child’s brain develops in the second trimester. When a pregnant woman has a high fever in this time, it can cause autism. It is important to take pills, which stop the fever.
Difficult words: disorder (when something doesn’t work the usual way), genetic marker (specific information in the body), trimester (three months).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos