A Theme Park Is Changing – level 3
The coronavirus pandemic has impacted all industries including theme parks. In 2020, Hong Kong’s Ocean Park was forced to close temporarily for over 200 days, and it reopened in September only with limited capacity.
Due to travel restrictions, the park totally relies on local visitors; therefore, the owners had to find alternate activities for them. People normally associate ocean parks with pandas and roller coasters rather than hiking, yoga, and glamping; however, according to the chairman of the Ocean Park, the current situation is an opportunity for the park to reinvent itself.
The park has made a loss for the past four consecutive years and there is no inbound tourism in Hong Kong right now; therefore, it is necessary to repurpose the park for a new market. The park wants to maximize and utilize its natural geography and features to come up with something different.
Difficult words: glamping (a form of camping that involves more luxurious accommodation and facilities), inbound (arriving from another place), utilize (to make practical use of something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos