A tourist gets lost in a jungle – level 3
A German tourist Daniel Florian went missing on April 13 after visiting an indigenous reserve in the Putumayo region in southwest Colombia.
Florian had been missing for seven days before he was found and rescued by Colombian troops. The troops found him on Wednesday, and he was disorientated and dehydrated. He was taken to Mocoa Putumayo City Hospital for treatment for dehydration and various bruises and lesions that he suffered while alone in the jungle.
Local sources reported that Florian had participated in an indigenous shaman ritual during which he allegedly drank Yage tea. Yage is a South American vine, and its bark is boiled to make a tea with hallucinogenic properties, and it is used as a traditional spiritual medicine.
Difficult words: indigenous (native), lesion (an injury to a person’s body or to an organ inside his body), hallucinogenic (causing someone experience something that appears real but it is created by a person’s mind).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos