A truck loses radioactive material – level 2
A radioactive capsule contained Caesium-137; it fell off a truck and landed on the side of the road in a remote Australian region.
Mining company Rio Tinto uses the capsule to measure iron ore which comes from its mine in the Kimberley area. The company apologized for the accident and said that the capsule probably didn’t pollute the area.
100 people spent one week searching for the capsule, but the task was very difficult. They had to search a 1,400-kilometer-long area along the highway. Authorities warned people to stay at least five meters away from the capsule if they saw it. They could get radiation sickness or burns.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What was the name of the mining company that used a radioactive capsule to measure iron ore?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.