A tunnel in Brooklyn synagogue – level 2
Police arrested a group of Hasidic Jewish men in New York after they discovered a hidden tunnel under a historic synagogue in Brooklyn.
Extremist students from the Chabad-Lubavitch community secretly constructed the tunnel which connects empty buildings to the synagogue. There was a fight between police and those who supported the tunnel. Chabad spokesperson reported that the extremists damaged the synagogue. The police don’t know now why the group constructed the tunnel. The synagogue is now closed for a safety review. An anonymous tip led to the discovery of the tunnel.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What actions were taken after the discovery of the hidden tunnel under the historic synagogue in Brooklyn, and what led to its discovery?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.