A tunnel in Brooklyn synagogue – level 3
A group of Hasidic Jewish men in New York were arrested due to a dispute over an illicit tunnel beneath a historic synagogue in Brooklyn’s Crown Heights.
The tunnel, secretly constructed by extremist students within the Chabad-Lubavitch community, connected vacant buildings to the synagogue. Law enforcement intervened, resulting in a clash between police and those supporting the unauthorized passage. Rabbi Motti Seligson, a Chabad spokesperson, reported damage to the sanctuary by the extremists.
The motive for the tunnel remains undisclosed. Arrests were made for criminal mischief, trespassing, and obstructing governmental administration. The building is closed pending a safety review after an anonymous tip led to the discovery of the tunnel.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What charges were made against the Hasidic Jewish men who constructed the illegal tunnel under the Brooklyn synagogue?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.