A university honors a girl – level 3
After she was wrongfully reported to police, Yale University honored a nine-year-old girl.
Bobbi Wilson was collecting spotted lanternflies, an invasive pest, in her hometown of Caldwell, New Jersey, United States. A neighbor reported the girl to the police and claimed he was scared. After the officers spoke to the girl’s mother, they were unsure why they were there.
The incident gained national attention after Bobbi’s family spoke about the dangers of racial profiling at a local council meeting. Police invited the girl to meet officers at the local police station. When she earned Yale honors, she donated her collection of lanternflies to Yale’s Peabody Museum.
Difficult words: invasive (spread quickly or harmfully), pest (a destructive insect), racial profiling (think that people of a particular race behave in a certain way, or they will commit an offense).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What was the reaction of Bobbi Wilson's family after she was wrongfully reported to police?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos