A wall stops people – level 2
Turkey built a concrete wall in the eastern part of the country. The wall is 65 kilometers long, and it will stop Afghan migrants from entering the country.
This year, NATO soldiers left Afghanistan and the Taliban already took some Afghan land. Many Afghan people are afraid of the violence, and they ran away from their country to Turkey through Iran. Last year, Turkey seized about 150,000 people on its border with Iran, and this year, the number is already 55,000.
Turkish officials said that there were already 3.7 million refugees from Syria in Turkey, and it was necessary to stop more people from coming. Many migrants are trying to get to Europe, and they hope that they can live better lives there.
Difficult words: migrant (a person who moves from one place to another usually to find work or a better place to live), seize (to keep or take something or someone by force), refugee (a person who leaves his country because it is dangerous to live there).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.