A woman breaks a sculpture – level 3
Art lovers in Miami, United States, looked on in horror on Thursday night when an art collector accidentally knocked a sculpture by US pop artist Jeff Koons to the ground.
Witnesses said that the woman tapped the sculpture with her finger and the 42,000-dollar artwork fell off its pedestal and smashed into tiny shards. The incident happened during the exclusive VIP-only opening night of Art Wynwood, a contemporary art fair held annually in Florida.
The sculpture was part of a limited edition that has now shrunk from 799 to 798. Despite being shattered into thousands of pieces, there’s still interest in buying the destroyed sculpture. A local artist offered to buy it, as he said on his Instagram account that it had a really cool story.
68-year-old Jeff Koons hasn’t made any comment on the incident. His range of Balloon Dog sculptures is among the most iconic works of contemporary art and has sold for tens of millions of dollars. Some are as high as 3 meters; however, the broken dog was just a 40 centimeters tall puppy.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think happened?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.