A woman says, ’I am not dead!’ – level 3
Declared dead by a French court in 2017, 59-year-old Jeanne Pouchain has spent the past four years trying to escape a legal maze of court errors and to prove to authorities that she is in fact alive.
The experience’s been devastating, and it left Pouchain and her family with seemingly endless problems. It all began when her family received a letter from a French court claiming that she was deceased. It demanded her husband and son pay her debts as a part of a legal procedure launched by a former employee of Pouchain’s cleaning business.
Since that time, Pouchain hasn’t been able to work, and she is afraid to leave her house because she has no valid ID or social security details. Without a social security card, she’s been missing out on health and dental care, and she only has six teeth left.
Some of Pouchain and her husband’s belongings have been taken by the court, and all their savings have gone into the cost of fighting against the court’s ruling. However, there is hope that the court will look at Pouchain’s case again.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.