A women’s village – level 3
Jinwar’s a village in the Kurdish region in northeast Syria where a group of women displaced by war and domestic violence found a safe refuge and rebuilt their lives.
Jinwar means ‘women’s space’ in the Kurdish language. The village was built in 2018, and it has 30 houses hosting 20 families of women and children. Jinwar has a school, a training academy, a bakery, and fields cultivated by women. Men aren’t allowed to live in Jinwar; however, they can visit their relatives living there. Boys who live with their mothers can stay in the village until they get married.
The head of the village says women and children are always the victims in conflicts like the civil war that broke out in 2011. Women in the village spend their days working and evenings singing and dancing. Many say that they have goals and ambitions, and they can live their lives without any interference from anyone or without being controlled. They become stronger and they aren’t viewed as being confined to the household and its duties anymore.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What kind of activities do the women in Jinwar participate in to gain strength and reclaim their own narratives?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.