1.59 billion dollars in a lottery – level 1
This news is from the USA. You can win a lot of money in a lottery there. Many people want to win. They buy a lot of lottery tickets. Their chances are 1 to 292 million.
Three people are lucky. They write down the right numbers. All of them win. Each person wins 530 million dollars. However, they cannot keep all of it. The government takes 40% of the money.
Difficult words: lottery (a game in which you can win money), chance (a possibility that something happens), government (the “bosses” of a country).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What would you do if you won so much money?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.