3D-printed houses – level 2
Ten grey building were built in Shanghai. They may look like normal houses from a distance, but they are quite special. They are China’s first buildings made with 3D printing technology.
The houses were built without using bricks or tiles. The walls are made of a special mixture of materials like sand or concrete. This material is printed by 3D printers which were developed in East China. The printers lay one layer of the material on top of another.
The layers are well connected and they will not deform. The layers are only three centimetres thick, but they are five times harder than normal materials.
Difficult words: tile (flat square piece which is used in buildings), concrete (material which is used for building), layer (amount of material that covers a surface of something), deform (to change shape).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like these houses?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.