80-year-old lady is very lucky – level 3
Most people go to the pharmacy to find something to alleviate their aches and pains, not pick up more.
But that’s what very nearly happened to 80-year-old Adrienne Watkins, after a car smashed through the front window of her local pharmacy store in Winter Haven, Florida.
CCTV from the store shows Adrienne over by the counter when she bends down to pick up something she’s dropped, and then the car smashes through the store, destroys the counter, narrowly misses Watkins.
The vehicle was being driven by 84-year-old Margaret Underwood, who had had a small accident in the parking lot before inexplicably driving through the store and causing $65,000 worth of damage.
After the incident, store staff rushed to help the fallen Watkins and she was taken to hospital where she was treated for cuts and bruises.
Difficult words: alleviate (to make something less painful), smash (break), inexplicably (it is strange and cannot be explained), rush (hurry).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.