91 year-old marathon runner – level 1
An old woman runs a marathon. She is from the USA. It is her 15th marathon. Her time is seven hours, seven minutes and 42 seconds. She is the oldest woman in the marathon. Her time is also the best for her age group.
The woman started to run in 1999. Her friends were ill. They had cancer. She wanted to help them. She helped them by running a marathon. This marathon helped people with cancer.
Difficult words: were (past of “are”), had (past of “have”), cancer (very serious illness).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Who is the oldest runner in your family?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.