91 year-old marathon runner – level 2
A 91 year-old American woman completed her 15th marathon. Her time was seven hours, seven minutes and 42 seconds. She became the oldest woman to compete in the race. She also set a US record for the fastest time for a woman in her age group.
The woman started running in 1999. She knew people who were ill from leukaemia. She wanted to help, so she ran in her first marathon which helped people with leukaemia.
The woman is a cancer survivor herself. She has cancer in her legs.
Difficult words: leukaemia (type of cancer of the blood).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Who is the oldest runner in your family?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos