91 year-old marathon runner – level 3
“I’m Harriette Thompson, and I’m 91 years old, and I’m running the marathon at San Diego.”
That’s right! Ninety-one-year-old Harriette Thompson ran her way into the record books on Sunday after she completed the San Diego Rock ‘n’ Roll marathon for the 15th time.
Completing the race in seven hours, seven minutes and 42 seconds, Hariette became the oldest woman to compete in the race, and also set a US record for the fastest time for a woman in her age group.
The second oldest marathon runner in US history, Harriette started running back in 1999, when a friend of hers was running to raise money to fight cancer.
“I started running because I had friends who were very ill from leukaemia, and a friend of mine was gathering money for the race. She was going to run for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society, and I decided, well, I could walk that, so I signed up, and I came out here in 1999 and ran my first marathon.”
A cancer survivor herself, Harriette had just undergone nine radiation treatments for cancer in her legs, and at one point during the race, didn’t think she could make it to the finish line. But, despite aching legs and sapping sun during the course of her latest run, it seems that the race is far from over for Harriette, who hopes to take on next year’s competition.
“When I get over that finish line, that’s the best part!”
Difficult words: sap (tiring).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.