ABBA after 40 years – level 3
One half of ABBA celebrated the 40th anniversary of the performance that won them the Eurovision Song Contest.
Bjorn and Frida turned out for an ABBA extravaganza on Monday on London’s South Bank to mark their success when Waterloo won the big prize in 1974.
“We knew a bit about the business and the mix of the talents were probably a wonderful thing and also being couples, being together and explore that world, you know, it was a new, a new kind of thing for all of us.”
The band is known around the world for a large number of hits, but Bjorn admitted it wasn’t all effortless.
“And it happened over a quite a long period of time. I mean, we did not have a hit after hit after hit, we, we had a hit and then we wrote another song, recorded it and released it. It was like that. It seems today when you look back at it as though it was happening at the same time but it wasn’t.”
The pair went on stage to join in the celebration, as the crowd sang Happy Birthday.
“Happy birthday to you!”
Difficult words: one half (half of four people is two people), anniversary (date on which something special happened), extravaganza (very large and expensive entertainment), effortless (without work).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.