Aboriginal flag – level 3
The Australian government said that it acquired the copyright to freely use the Aboriginal flag.
Indigenous artist Harold Thomas created the black, yellow, and red flag in 1971 to lead a protest, and since that time, it became a symbol of indigenous unity and pride. However, in the past, commercial disagreements restricted sporting teams and Aboriginal communities from using the image. The flag had always been used by health organizations and sporting clubs who were charged for the use. However, there was increasing pressure from Aboriginal groups and sports disagreements such as the Australian Football League, which began refusing to pay to display the flag.
The government paid 20 million dollars to Thomas and to end agreements with a small number of companies. From now on, anyone can use the flag without fear of legal threats.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.