About a tiger and a goat – level 3
It looks like things have turned b-aa-d for the goat and tiger whose unlikely friendship inspired the world.
Timur, the goat, can be seen head-butting Amur, the Siberian tiger, but despite putting up a good fight, their locking of horns ended up with the feisty goat being stretchered away to seek medical treatment, leaving their unlikely bromance on a slippery slope.
The dubious duo captured hearts when the goat was placed in Amur’s habitat as part of the safari’s biweekly live animal feedings. But not only managed to escape being eaten, it befriended the tiger and actually kicked it out of its bedding area.
Although the goat became a bit too big for its hooves, asserting himself over Amur. But after weeks of what officials call bullying, Amur stopped being a big scaredy-cat and showed his horned friend who’s boss.
Perhaps a tiger never really does change its stripes.
Difficult words: headbutt (to hit somebody with your head), lock horns (to begin to fight), feisty (small but lively and courageous), bromance (a close but non-sexual relationship between two men), slippery slope (a bad situation), dubious (unusual), habitat (the place where an animal lives), biweekly (happening every two weeks), hoof (the hard part on the feet of some animals), assert oneself (to be confident and to do what you want to do), bully (to do bad things to somebody weaker), scaredy-cat (somebody who is afraid, not brave), a tiger never changes its stripes idiom (a person cannot change easily).
What do you think about this friendship?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos