Accident at an underground station – level 3
This CCTV footage shows the moment a child in a buggy was blown onto the tracks at a London Underground station, just seconds before a train arrived.
In the frightening footage released by British Transport Police, a couple is seen leaving the pushchair at the bottom of the stairs close to a platform while they went to assist other family members. But a strong gust of wind blew the unattended buggy, carrying the child on to the tracks with an incoming train moments away from arriving.
After realising what had happened, the child’s panic-stricken mother can be seen rushing on to the tracks to carry the baby and the pushchair back onto the platform.
Police are attempting to trace the couple involved to ensure the child did not suffer any injuries in the incident.
Difficult words: CCTV footage (security camera video), buggy (pushchair), gust (sudden strong rush of wind), attempt (try), trace (find), ensure (make sure).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.