Accident in Russia – level 3
Sixteen people have been killed and 11 more injured after a passenger bus collided with a truck full of bricks in Russia. The crash happened near the Siberian city of Omsk around 1,700 miles (2,736 kilometres) east of Moscow. Local police said a bus carrying workers from a nearby chicken factory drove on the wrong lane and collided with an oncoming truck.
Death rates from Russians’ road accidents are higher than in most Western countries. The country has gained fame for its erratic drivers with millions of people watching footage on YouTube of cars overtaking on blind corners, rear-ending each other and careering off the road.
Difficult words: erratic (unpredictable – you never know what a person or something is about to do), footage (video), blind corner (a street corner that you cannot see around as you are driving), career (to move fast and out of control).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.