Accident of a baby elephant – level 3
A baby elephant has been rescued after it fell into an empty water storage pit after wandering into a village in China.
The adorable little calf was spotted by local residents in southwest China’s Yunnan Province. They reckoned he fell in and was unable to escape the two-metre-deep pit.
While the baby elephant kept trying to get out, he just couldn’t, so the police were called in to give him a hand.
They shoved some earth into one side of the pit, making it easier for the elephant to climb out.
“Looking at the traces at the scene, it probably fell into it yesterday. Because it rained yesterday, the ground around the pit was slippery.”
After about an hour, the little calf finally got free and ran back into the nearby forest.
Difficult words: storage (a place where you keep something), pit (a hole in the ground), wander (to walk without thinking about where you are going), adorable (cute, lovely, beautiful), calf (a young animal), spot (to see), reckon (to think), give somebody a hand (to help somebody), shove (to move forcefully), trace (a sign which shows what happened somewhere).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.