Acid attacks in Columbia – level 3
Thirty-three-year-old Natalia Ponce de León is the victim of a brutal acid attack. She’s seeking justice for other women in Columbia who are suffering from violence.
Natalia is scarred for life after acid was thrown in her face in March last year. She’s now calling for a maximum jail term of up to forty years in prison for people who carry out such attacks.
“And for the people that do this, what we all want is for justice with tougher penalties and more stringent measures regarding the sale of chemicals so that they’re not in the wrong hands.”
According to Colombia’s Institute of Legal Medicine, there were 900 cases of acid attacks in the country over the past decade, and most of the cases were against women between the ages of 26 and 35.
“It destroys you – look at my burned body without a face, without identity and identity erased absolute torture. I was between life and death.”
It’s been more than one year since the acid attack on Natalia. She has since dedicated herself to establishing a foundation in her name that seeks to help other acid attack victims in the country.
Difficult words: seek (to try to achieve something), stringent (strict), measure (rule), torture (an act of hurting somebody), establish (to start something), foundation (organisation, charity organisation).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.