Acid Attacks on Women – level 2
Eleven years ago, a man proposed to a 15-year-old girl. She said no. Ten months later, he found her in her home town of Delhi. He pushed her to the floor and poured acid on her.
It took the girl four years to be brave enough to go out in public. When she did, she did not want to feel like a victim. She wanted to feel like a fighter. She knew she needed to change how she looked at herself and how people looked at her. If she did not do something about it, nobody would.
She started a charity to help acid attack victims. She says that people are more accepting, and that people like her feel less like victims and more like normal people.
Difficult words: pour (drop out of something), acid (a chemical which can hurt you), victim (a person who was injured or killed in a crime or accident), accepting (open-minded, respectful).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos