Afghan parents sell children – level 2
For many years, Afghanistan depended on international help, but when the Taliban came to power last year, several countries stopped sending help.
According to experts, more than half of Afghan people do not have enough food, and around 3.2 million children under 5 are facing malnutrition. Malnutrition means they do not get enough food, and it makes them weak and sick because they need vitamins and minerals from the food. Some families are so poor that they cannot buy food, so parents started to sell their own children.
One father sold one of his daughters because he needed money to buy food. Now, he is selling another daughter, who is 7 years old. He hopes to get 200 to 300 dollars for her, which will be enough money for food and for medicine for his sick wife.
Another man sold his 10-year-old daughter to a man who gave him a lot of food. When the girl’s mother asked him where he got the money to buy food, he said that he sold his own daughter.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.