Afghan women cannot do sports – level 3
A Taliban spokesperson said that women’s sports, and women’s cricket specifically, will be banned in Afghanistan.
According to the Taliban’s cultural commission, Islam and the Islamic Emirate don’t allow women to play cricket or the kind of sports where they are exposed.
The commission said last week that it would allow men’s cricket to continue, and it gave approval for the men’s national team to travel to Australia for a test match in November. However, Australia’s Sport Minister said that the Taliban’s decision on women’s sport was deeply concerning, stating that excluding women from sport at any level was unacceptable.
On Tuesday, the Taliban announced an all-male interim government for Afghanistan, and they promised education to all countrymen within the framework of Sharia. However, women weren’t mentioned in the announcement at all.
Difficult words: emirate (an area that is ruled by an emir or a Muslim ruler), exposed (uncovered, visible), interim (temporary), the framework of Sharia (ideas based on Islamic laws from the Islamic holy book the Quran).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos