Afghanistan Peace Talks – level 1
There is a war in Afghanistan. It lasts 18 years. The leaders of the Taliban are the military group in Afghanistan. They agree to stop fighting for one week.
They want to continue peace talks with the US, the talks are long and difficult. The US wants that Afghanistan does not help any terrorists.
The peace talks last one year. Many US soldiers leave Afghanistan. However, after a bombing in the capital city, Kabul, the situation is difficult again.
The US president wants to reduce the number of US soldiers in Afghanistan. He wants to reduce the number from 12,000 to 8,600. He says that the US soldiers must stay in the country until the end of the war.
Difficult words: peace talk (a discussion between two or more countries that helps end a war), terrorist (a person who kills other people, usually to get some change in politics), reduce (to make smaller).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.