Afghanistan Vote – level 1
Afghanistan has presidential elections. Few people come to vote. Only 20% of registered voters come.
People do not vote because of the Taliban. They are afraid that they will hurt or kill them. An election official says that the Taliban makes 68 attacks during the voting. Five people die and more people get hurt.
Other problems happen. Some voters cannot prove who they are. Some election workers are mean. Some lists of voters are not complete.
20% of Afghanistan’s voters are going to choose the president. People find out who they choose in November.
Difficult words: election (when people elect or choose the leader of a place), vote (tell who you want to be a leader), registered voter (a person who signs up to vote).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos