Africa’s GMO crops – level 1
GMO plants are genetically modified. Scientists make things that are genetically modified. GMO plants grow faster or better.
In the past, Kenya’s government doesn’t allow GMO maize. This situation changes in October 2022. The new government allows GMO maize. In recent years, rain doesn’t fall very much in Kenya. 4 million people have very little food. They could die. GMO maize can help them.
Some farmers worry. They say that GMO maize is bad for them. It is bad for traditional farming. Big foreign companies have patents for GMO plants. Farmers will have to work with these companies.
Also, organic farmers cannot grow plants near GMO plants. A 100-meter space must be between the plants. The space will make farmers’ fields smaller.
Difficult words: traditional (something that people do or use for a long time), patent (an official document that gives rules on how you can use, make, or sell something), organic (food or farms without any chemicals).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos