Airbus A340 lands in Antarctica – level 2
For the first time ever, an Airbus A340 landed in Antarctica. A Portuguese company flew the aircraft from South Africa’s Cape Town.
The flight from Cape Town to Antarctica lasted five hours, and the journey took 4,630 kilometers altogether. An adventure camp paid for the flight, and the crew brought food and other things to the camp. The crew spent only three hours there.
The captain said that landing on Antarctica was not easy because the runway was icy, and there was no equipment which he normally uses at airports.
Most people usually get to Antarctica by ship, so it was very unusual to see an airbus on the runway. The company said that they usually carried only a few tourists, scientists, and things that people needed to Antarctica.
Difficult words: crew (the people who work together on a plane or ship).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos