Airline has money problems – level 2
Philippine Airlines filed for bankruptcy in the US this week. The airline is in trouble after the coronavirus pandemic stopped global travel. The company’s CEO introduced a plan which would help it get through the difficult times.
The airline will return 22 planes which they leased from other companies. Its main shareholder will sell shares worth 505 million dollars. New investors promised to pay the company’s owed money.
In northern countries, people started to travel again, but in some countries, the delta variant of COVID-19 is currently stopping travel in many countries, mainly in the US and China.
Difficult words: bankruptcy (the situation when a person or company cannot pay its debts), CEO (the main person in a company), shareholder (a person who owns a part of a company that is called a share), investor (a person who puts money into a business to help the business run).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos