Albania election – level 2
One week ago, 3.6 million people in Albania voted in the country’s parliamentary election. People chose 140 lawmakers for the next four years.
There were two main parties in the election, the ruling Socialist Party and the opposition Democratic Party. It seemed that the result would be very close. The Socialist Party wanted to help tourism, energy, farming, and modern technologies.
The leader of the Democratic party said the government made many serious crimes. The Democratic Party promised lower taxes and higher pay. The first results suggested that the Socialist Party won again.
This election is the 10th election since communism ended in Albania. The election is free, but there are usually some problems. This year’s election is very important because the country wants to become a part of the EU, and the result could have a big impact on the process.
Difficult words: lawmaker (a person who makes and changes the laws of a country), tax (the money which people and companies pay and a government then spends the money on what is important to do), communism (a political system which says that what people make belongs to everyone and the state, not to them).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.