Albania election – level 3
About 3.6 million eligible voters in Albania and abroad voted to elect 140 lawmakers for a four-year mandate in the Balkan nation.
An exit poll suggested that the ruling Socialist Party was in a tight race with the opposition Democratic Party. The process had a calm situation, security and integrity, and there was hope that post-communist Albania´s 10th parliamentary election would be free and fair.
Prime Minister Edi Rama of the Socialists, who were seeking their third consecutive mandate, wanted to boost Albanian efforts in tourism, energy, agriculture, and digital projects. Lulzim Basha of the Democrats accused the government of corruption and links to organized crime, and he pledged lower taxes, higher salaries, and more social support. According to preliminary results, the Socialist Party won with 74 of the 140 seats.
Albania, a NATO member since 2009, is looking forward to launching full membership negotiations with the EU later this year, and the election is considered a key step on that path.
Difficult words: eligible (having the right to do something), exit poll (asking people about how they voted as they leave the place where they do it), mandate (an authority to act in a particular way given to a government of person).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.