Albania Theatre – level 2
On May 17, workers demolished Albania’s National Theatre in the capital city, Tirana. There was a group of protesters in the building, and police had to make them leave before the work could start.
The police arrested 37 people, who they released later.
The next day, angry protests started, and the police had to use pepper spray to stop the protesters.
There were actors among the protesters, too because they did not agree with the demolition. They wanted the theater to be renovated. One of the actors said that the demolition was a crime.
Lulzim Basha, the past mayor of Tirana, was very angry. He supported the protests, and he said that the government had to resign.
Difficult words: release (to set somebody free), renovate (to repair something old and make it look new), resign (to leave a job).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos