Albania Theatre – level 3
Albania’s National Theatre in the capital, Tirana, was demolished on May 17 during coronavirus restrictions.
Police had to remove a group of protesters from the building before heavy machinery could start work. 37 people, including a journalist, were detained; however, the police later released them. The following day, furious protests started, and the police had to use pepper spray to disperse the angry crowd.
The government’s decision to destroy the theatre was opposed by artists who wanted it renovated. One of the artists called the demolition a criminal act. The former mayor of Tirana and the leader of the main opposition party, Lulzim Basha, has urged people to topple the government over the demolition. He said that the protests would continue until the government was gone.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.