Albino tortoise – level 1
Albinism means that a person or animal has no pigment. Pigment is a thing which makes the color in our hair and skin. Albino people usually have white hair and skin.
Albino animals have white hair or feathers. They usually have red eyes, too. Albinism can be dangerous for animals. Pigment keeps them safe from the sunshine. Albino animals can’t hide easily from predators.
Two Galapagos tortoises are born at a Swiss zoo. This situation doesn’t happen very often. People at the zoo are very happy.
One tortoise is black. One is albino. The chance of an albino tortoise is one in 100,000.
Difficult words: albino (a person or animal with albinism), feather (one of many soft, light things, which cover a bird’s body), predator (an animal which eats other animals).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos