Algerian President – level 3
Last Tuesday, the state-run Algerian press agency announced in a statement that the country’s ailing president, Abdelaziz Bouteflika, resigned following weeks of protests.
This comes as a surprise since the president previously announced plans to run for a fifth term. However, people started protesting him as soon as they found out.
Bouteflika first came to power in 1999 when the military largely backed his victory. This led to criticism that he won the presidency fraudulently. People elected him again in 2004, 2009 and 2014, and the criticism never stopped.
The 82-year-old president has been in poor health recently – he survived a stroke in 2013.
Difficult words: announce (officially say something), ailing (in poor health), fraudulently (done illegally).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos