Alpacas in Wales – level 1
Alpacas normally live in Peru. But several alpacas have a new home. They live on a farm in West Wales.
12 sheep live on the farm, too. The alpacas stay with the sheep. Scientists watch how these animals live together. The alpacas keep the sheep safe. They can spot dangerous animals, for example, foxes. The alpacas also eat a type of grass which the sheep do not eat. It means that there is better grass for the sheep.
Scientists do not think that alpacas will replace sheep in Wales. But there are many good things about the new animals. They help keep Wales peatlands. Peatlands are important for clean air.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What benefits do alpacas bring to the sheep on the farm in West Wales?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.