Alternative schools – level 3
Despite the negative connotation, modern alternative schools offer various benefits.
At the Life School in Atlanta, US, students are on their feet learning and laughing, and enjoying their time at school. Classes are about learning with joy and empathy and learning how to work in a team. Students participate in more hands-on and flexible projects, and they have the freedom to learn social and emotional skills that they’ll need their entire life. Children aren’t separated by age but by ability, and they can suggest what they want to study. They don’t do simple just worksheets with step-by-step instructions. Schools usually do a lot of work to separate children from their parents; however, alternative schools involve parents in school activities, and they value a good relationship with them.
Studies show that this setting works. According to a study, middle-schoolers studying science in a project-based setting in California tested 11 percentage points better than their peers in traditional lecture-style classes. These students are less likely to drop out of school and more likely to attend college.
Difficult words: connotation (something suggested by a word or thing), hands-on (involving active participation), value (to consider to be important or beneficial).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What advantages do alternative schools offer over traditional ones?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos