Amazon Rainforest – level 1
This news is about the Amazon Rainforest. Scientists say that it is very important for the planet. Sixty per cent of the forest is in Brazil. However, people are cutting down the trees there. They cut more trees each month.
People look at May and June 2018 vs. May and June 2019. People cut down thirty-four per cent more trees in May 2019 than in May 2018. People cut down eighty per cent more trees in June 2019 than in June 2018.
One scientist says that the Brazilian president is making things worse. He wants to build things in the Amazon. He wants to mine in protected reserves. He wants to do this even if the indigenous people do not want it.
Difficult words: mine (move things like coal from the ground up), protected reserves (areas which are only for plants, animals and the ‘forest people’ who live there), indigenous people (people who live in the forest, ‘jungle people’).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.